Licensed Trade Boards

Licensed Trade Boards in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

The licensed trade boards play an very important role in the construction trades.  The boards oversee  the trade licensing process and the implement the state’s licensing laws as well as develop  the related regulations and policies affecting workers and contractors,  including requirements for training, exams and appeals. 


Several ABC members serve on these boards, and all members in the trades should be aware of the boards’ work as it has a direct effect on their businesses. 


Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters

The Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters regulates these trades according to state laws and Board regulations. The Board holds exams and issues licenses for journeyman and master plumbers, journeyman and master gas fitters, and LP and LTD Gas. It also registers apprentice plumbers and gas fitters and issues corporate and partnership certificates for plumbing and gas, and holds public hearings for code amendments and variances, approves dual and elevated gases and plumbing and gas products.  (via


Bureau of Pipefitters, Refrigeration Technicians, and Sprinklerfitters

To provide the rules and regulations for the licensure and training of pipefitters, sprinkler fitters, and refrigeration technicians.  The bureau holds public meetings on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the DPS Taunton Office, beginning at 9:30 a.m. (via


Board of State Examiners of Electricians Licensing

The Board of Examiners of Electricians Licensing oversees Master Electricians (A), Journeyman Electricians (B), Systems Contractors (C) and Systems Technicians (D - including security, fire warning).  The Examiners also prosecute those found working without a license, either through the Office of the Attorney General or directly in the courts of the Commonwealth.  (via


Sheet Metal Workers Licensing

The Board of Examiners of Sheet Metal Workers regulates and licenses apprentice, journeyman and master sheet metal workers in the Commonwealth. The requirements for all licensees are found here. (via