On Tuesday, October 10th, members of the Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) debated whether or not to modify the full force and effect date based on a shortened concurrency period, but decided to hold firm with the January 1, 2018 date.
Therefore, building permit applications for projects utilizing eighth edition code provisions will need to be filed on or before December 31, 2017. Applications received on or after January 1, 2018, where the project has been designed to the eighth edition, shall be returned to the applicant. The applicant will either need to revise construction documents to comply with ninth edition standards or seek relief through the Building Code Appeals Board (BCAB).
The ninth edition code is based on modified versions of the following 2015 codes as published by the International Code Council (ICC).
- The International Building Code (IBC);
- International Residential Code (IRC);
- International Existing Building Code (IEBC);
- International Mechanical Code (IMC);
- International Energy Conservation Code (IECC);
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC); and
- Portions of the International Fire Code (IFC).