- The International Building Code (IBC);
- International Residential Code (IRC);
- International Existing Building Code (IEBC);
- International Mechanical Code (IMC);
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC); and
- Portions of The International Fire Code (IFC).
The Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) anticipates holding two (2) public hearings on the Ninth Edition in order to accommodate interested parties. Hearings are scheduled for:
- March 7, 2017 @ the Saltonstall Building, 100 Cambridge Street in Boston - Rooms 2B, C and D - beginning @ 10:00 a.m. Visitors must have a picture ID and check-in with security, so please leave ample time upon arrival.
- March 14, 2017 @ Springfield Technical Community College (STCC) One Armory Square in Springfield - First floor auditorium, Building 2 - beginning @ 10:00 a.m.
During the hearings, members of BBRS will allow testimony on any portion of the referenced codes and\or amendments. However, due to the number of codes and amendments involved, the chair does reserve the right to limit the time of testimony on any given topic. Typically, members will also allow a written comment period following the hearings for those who are not able to attend. The 2015 international codes and proposed Massachusetts amendments may be viewed on the DPS website.
The BBRS has not yet determined an effective date for the Ninth Edition Code and has not determined the length of comment period. Each will depend on the number and nature of comments received via the public hearings process.
Also, as a reminder, the BBRS has already approved a new energy code as an amendment to the current, Eighth Edition Code. The new energy code came into full force and effect on January 2, 2017. Please see the DPS website for additional information about new energy code provisions.