EICA is one of ABC MA’s signature events, recognizing member contractors who, along with their project teams, help raise the standards of excellence in the construction industry. Over 275 ABC MA members gathered at the Westin Waltham Hotel to celebrate the very best construction projects its companies have to offer.
This year's applicant pool was particularly competitive, with each winner selected for high standards of craftsmanship, safety and quality thanks to the talents of merit shop workers and the efficiency of the merit shop approach. "Our companies are committed to providing the highest quality of work in a safe and efficient manner,” said ABC MA President Greg Beeman. “Tonight was a great time to recognize their achievements and celebrate the merit shop construction industry as a whole."
- Bald Hill Builders’ construction of a 25,000 sf, three-story building above and around an existing and operating restaurant;
- Bowdoin Construction’s expansion a food processing and packaging equipment facility warehouse and showroom;
- BW Kennedy & Co’s construction of a 145,000 sf life science building and 155,000 sf parking garage;
- C.E. Floyd Company’s Lean Construction of athenahealth’s West Garage over a previously contaminated soil site in a tight urban setting;
- Callahan Construction Managers’ two stand-alone residential buildings consisting of 385,000 sf with 352 residential units, almost 240,000 sf of parking, and retail and restaurant spaces on oceanfront property; and construction of a 21-story and six-story residential building in Somerville’s Assembly Square;
- CIANBRO’s multi-phase expansion of a medical device provider, complete with training rooms, office and meeting spaces, commercial kitchen and cafeteria, and more;
- DECCO, Inc.’s conversion of a mid-1800’s shoe factory into a state-of-the art medical marijuana manufacturing facility;
- EnviroVantage’s historical restoration of Nobska Lighthouse, a 189-year-old lighthouse located on a hill, perched on the point of a peninsula in Woods Hole, MA that is exposed to ocean wind, water and debris during the September hurricane season when work was completed;
- Erland Construction’s 100,000 sf, two-story athletic facility with a 200-meter track, 12-court squash center, 4 multi-use tennis and basketball courts along with a range of spaces dedicated to athletic training, wellness and fitness for Phillips Academy Andover;
- JM Coull’s restoration and renovation of a former abandoned and contaminated mill in downtown Lowell as part of the Lowell Community Health Center’s expansion;
- Kaplan Construction’s renovation and historical rehabilitation of an almost 60% deteriorated building located along a busy Boston street;
- Notch Mechanical Constructors’ customized exposed and aesthetically visible piping system for Tree House Brewing’s new brewery facility that increased production from 270 barrels per week to 1,000; and Baystate Medical Center’s 4.6 megawatt turbine to power a level one trauma center and primary medical provider for over 30 days in the event of a man-made or natural disaster;
- R & R Window Contractors’ installation of 1,582 windows into precast concrete panels for a 20-story building located at Somerville’s Assembly Square; and
- Tecta America New England’s roof repair and installation of solar panels for the largest shopping mall in northern New England.
ABC President Greg Beeman believes the variety of projects reflect the vast and diverse array of projects completed by ABC member firms. “Our companies not only believe that open competition brings out the best in everyone, they embody it,” Beeman said. “Several of this year’s winners faced adverse conditions as they completed their projects. Yet, in the end, each project brought out the best in the employees who worked on them. The fruits of their hard work and dedication can be seen on the faces of each one of their clients.”
During the celebration, ABC inducted Gould Construction Institute’s (GCI) President Barbara Lagergren as the 2018 ABC Legend. After serving 32 years in various roles at ABC Massachusetts, ABC’s national office, and GCI, Barbara plans to retire at the end of this year.
The Legends program was created to recognize ABC’s outstanding leadership and to help support development of the construction industry’s future talent through the "ABC MA Building Our Future Scholarship."
Over the past 25 years, EICA has recognized more than 250 exceptional projects entered into this independently judged competition by over 150 ABC member contractors.
The Massachusetts Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors is the largest construction trade association in the Commonwealth, representing some 430 local general contractor, subcontractor, and supplier and associate companies that employ more than 20,000 workers throughout Massachusetts.